Saturday, June 28, 2014

Annotated Bibliography


Here is an annotated  bibliography of some of Dr. Seuss's books.
Title Copyright, Genre, Pages
Theme Summary Awards
Personal Response to Book
Classroom Use
Teacher Thinking Notes
And to Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street


Vanguard Press 1937


Rhyming Story, Classics, Comedy & Humor,
40 pages
Cleverness, Creativity, and Imagination

This book is about a little boy named Marco who makes his way home through Mulberry Street, on his way home  he encounters things that are remarkably bizarre.


Awards: Lewis Carroll Shelf Award

After reading this book I couldn’t help but stop and admire Dr. Seuss’s creativity. I find it hard to understand how one person can create such a magical world in his head and create a book out of it.
I would use this book in an activity that involved learning about neighborhoods. I would have the students reflect on what they see on their way home and around their neighborhood compared to what Marco sees in the story.
Green Eggs and Ham


Dr. Seuss Enterprises


Classics, Comedy and Humor, Rhyming Story


62 pages
Phonemic Awareness,
Early Reading
Determination and Perseverance


This book is about a character that does not want to eat green eggs and ham. He spent more than half the book rejecting to try them, but when he finally does he loves them.
This book reminded me of being a little girl and not wanting to eat the food my mother wanted to feed me, I think that kids can really relate to the character in this book.
I would use this book to teach children about rhyming, as well as teaching them that we must give things a try before assuming we don’t like them. It is important not to judge too quickly.
Fox in Sox
TM & c 1965
Comedy and Humor
Poetry and Rhymes

61 pages



Early Learning
Listening and Speaking
Early Reading


This book is about two foxes names Fox and Knox. The fox’s play and the story is told with a great variety of rhyming words and tongue twisters.

This book was really fun, mainly because of all of the tongue twisters. I think that children would really enjoy the challenge of tongue twisters. I know as a child I had a lot of fun with tongue twisters.
I would use this book when teaching rhyming. After reading the book I would pick out some words and have the student chose the corresponding rhyming words.
One Fish two fish red fish blue fish


1960 Dr. Seuss Enterprises


     Rhyming Story
Comedy and Humor


62pages

Counting, numbers, phonics, colors


This book uses rhyming to describes the physical features of different creatures and well as the activities they participate in.
I like that this book demonstrates originality. It talks about some fish being fat, some skinny, some red, some blue, etc.
I would use this in a lesson on originality and learning about descriptions. I would have the students do an activity describing how they are each original, both on the outside and inside.
Oh the Thinks you can Think


1975 Dr Seuss Enterprises


General Fiction

37 pages


Word Recognition


Dr. Seuss uses verses to describe some of the many fun things our minds are capable of thinking about if only we allow it to wonder.

This book talks about all the things each person can think about. It truly demonstrates the magic of thinking and how much we are capable of imagining.
I would use this book in an activity that involves using creativity. I would have kids close their eyes and create something with their mind, perhaps and imaginary land. I will then have them draw it and describe it.
Sleep Book


Dr. Seuss Enterprises 1962


General Fiction


56 pages


Bedtime, Sleep, Dreams


This book is about a small bug, named Van Vleck, who is very sleepy. This bug yawns, and the yawn spreads to various creatures.
After reading  this book I immediately though it would be the perfect book to read to children right before naptime.
I would use this book in teaching children about daily routines, such as going to bed, waking up, eating breakfast, etc. I would also try to read this to the children before naps, or when I want them to wind down.
Oh say, Can You Say?


Dr. Seuss Enterprises 1979


Comedy and Humor


48 pages


Tongue-twisters


This is a book of many tongue twisters.
This book reminded me of being a little girls and learning tongue twisters from my grandfather.
I would use this book mainly for enjoyment. To show kids how fun reading can be by allowing them and challenging them to try some of the different tongue twisters.
There’s a Wocket in My Pocket


Dr. Seuss Enterprises


Comedy and Humor


24 pages


Vocabulary


This story is about a little boy who explores and talks about all of the strange things that live in his house.
I enjoyed all of the bizarre creatures Dr. Seuss came up with for this book. I always get a kick out of all of his fun and unique characters.
I would use this book for vocabulary. For children to learn about the different items that can be found in a typical household.
The Foot Book


1968 Dr. Seuss Enterprises


Rhyming, Comedy and Humor


27 pgs
Human Body, Opposites and Contrasts, Individuality


This book is a rhyming story that describes many different types of feet.
This book was fun and made me think about all of the different ways to talk about something as simple as feet!
I would use this book in a lesson about body parts. I would have students create their own feet for a made up creature using arts and crafts and decorate them however they want, we could make a collage of feet in the end and hang it on the wall.
Happy Birthday to You


Dr. Seuss Enterprises 1959


Rhyming Story


Story Elements
Manners and Conduct
Birthdays


This book explains how people celebrate birthdays in a made up place called Katroo. It shares the different activities and events that take place on these special days.
I likes that this story introduces the idea that people may celebrate things in different ways. I love books that display originality and diversity.
I would use this book to teach children about different holidays and celebrations. Students could partner up with a buddy and discuss their favorite celebration and why. They could than stand up and tell the class about their partners favorite day of celebration.


No comments:

Post a Comment